Title Explanation

When predicting the sex of an unborn baby, the Oracle of Delphi is said to have claimed that it would be a "Boy No Girl." She thus covered both outcomes, as one could interpret the statement as "Boy. No girl," if the child was born male or "Boy, no-- girl," if the child was born female. Living in Ethiopia, it's difficult to know my role. Am I a foreigner, a "ferengi," or am I a local, like the Habesha? Sometimes, I'm a little bit of both.

Rotating Banner

Monday, November 18, 2013

PCV Profiles: Jenny in Haruta

I went to visit my fellow G7, Jenny in Haruta this September for an Ethiopian holiday called Meskel.  I talk about Meskel in my First Five Months blog post (I was really bad about blogging at the start of my service).  But to reiterate, "Meskel [is] the Orthodox Christian celebration of the discovery of the True Cross by Queen Elena.  Legend has it, she burned incense and followed the smoke to its location.  So the Orthodox Christians always have a large bonfire with a cross in the center to commemorate this miracle."

I did the whole town celebration in Hossana last year.  This year, I wanted something more intimate, so I joined my friend Jenny and celebrated with her compound family.  While I was there, I took some great video of her and how she lives with her family.  I compiled them into one fifteen-minute long video that wouldn't fit on YouTube, so I split them up into two videos instead on different aspects of my weekend visit with Jenny.  The first video I entitle "Compound Life," and depicts Jenny washing dishes and socializing with her compound family.  The second video is all about the traditional buna ceremony she prepared for her compound family.  Jenny tried to do it all herself, but found that her compound family couldn't just sit idly by and watch her do it wrong.

Let's watch, shall we?

Jenny in Haruta: Compound Life




Jenny in Haruta: Making Coffee


No comments:

Post a Comment