Title Explanation

When predicting the sex of an unborn baby, the Oracle of Delphi is said to have claimed that it would be a "Boy No Girl." She thus covered both outcomes, as one could interpret the statement as "Boy. No girl," if the child was born male or "Boy, no-- girl," if the child was born female. Living in Ethiopia, it's difficult to know my role. Am I a foreigner, a "ferengi," or am I a local, like the Habesha? Sometimes, I'm a little bit of both.

Rotating Banner

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Domo-Kun's Travels in Ethiopia!

We have officially landed in Addis Ababa. Hooray! It hit me pretty hard that I wouldn't be back state-side for two years. Even when I was growing up, we always went to the States every summer, so if I really don't go back, this'll probably be the longest continuous period I've ever been out of the country. It's hard to wrap my brain around the two year time period in general. Nonetheless, I waved goodbye to that crazy place.

We've settled into a small and modest hotel where we will be staying for a few days. The next few weeks are packed, mostly with language training, but also with cross cultural, safety, job training, etc. I should know my permanent site by June 30th, but after the first week I'll be in Asella for training.

When he took me to the airport on Sunday, Marcus gave me his Domo that used to hang from the rear view mirror in his car. To thank him, and for some fun, I have decided to chronicle Domo-Kun's adventures here with me in Ethiopia.

See Domo saying goodbye to Dulles!



Once we arrived, Domo and I ate very, very well.



Internet here is available, but very weak. Still, it's better than no Internet at all. Day one in Ethiopia is coming to a close. Only 809 days to go. After all, the best way to start is by one day at a time.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you made it, and that you were already able to update!

    Take more pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laynie! Thanks for commenting. Of course, I'm going to take a LOT of pictures, and you can definitely expect to see Domo in them again. But I'll post the majority of them on Facebook.

    Also, Layne E? Not Layne R? Curious... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger has issues. I can't help it! Also, can small care packs be sent with stuff like magazines or coloring books for the neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of adventures with Domo-Kun! you two have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, care packages can totally be sent. I'll FB you the address. :) It may take a while to get here, though, but PCVs here say it's not a problem getting them.

    ReplyDelete