Title Explanation

When predicting the sex of an unborn baby, the Oracle of Delphi is said to have claimed that it would be a "Boy No Girl." She thus covered both outcomes, as one could interpret the statement as "Boy. No girl," if the child was born male or "Boy, no-- girl," if the child was born female. Living in Ethiopia, it's difficult to know my role. Am I a foreigner, a "ferengi," or am I a local, like the Habesha? Sometimes, I'm a little bit of both.

Rotating Banner

Friday, June 1, 2012

If I were a list, this is what I would look like

Contact: [Ask in a comment]
DOB: 02/25 in the 1980s
College: Bachelor's Degrees in Creative Writing and Theater Arts, Masters in Teaching (Endorsements in Elementary Ed and English Language Learners).
Career Goal: Elementary School Teacher/Humanitarian
Core Beliefs: Learn everything you can, see the world from all angles, respect intelligent opinions.
Super Power of Choice: Teleportation and Time Manipulation
Favorite Animal: Chimpanzee
Favorite Fictional Animal: Phoenix
Dream Car: The DeLorian. Not a DeLorian. The DeLorian.
Countries Visited: England, Scotland, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Czech Republic, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Tunisia
Countries Inhabited: Philippines, United States, Portugal, Canada, Uzbekistan, Belgium, Egypt, Ethiopia [Currently]
Countries To Visit: Peru, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, China, Costa Rica, Australia, India, Botswana
States Visited: Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington DC, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, Washington

Extraneous Facts

  • I was raised to respect all beliefs, cultures and customs, and this probably forms the foundation of my morality.
  • I love playing Nintendo games from Super Nintendo - Wii.
  • Every February 25th, whenever she can, my mother makes me a dirt cake for my birthday since I was twelve.


What am I doing in Ethiopia?

  • I have joined the Peace Corps.
  • I have been selected to work in the field of English Education, dealing specifically with teacher training.
  • I have a deep fascination with and respect for other cultures and ways of living, and I hope to learn as much, if not more, from my host country as I have to offer them.


What I'm taking with me:

  • Clothes (casual and formal)
  • More shoes than I normally wear
  • Office supplies, including paper, pens, etc, to write with.
  • Embroidery thread to make friendship bracelets
  • Geeky boardgames
  • Girl Scout Cookies
  • Leatherman knife and duct tape
  • A fluffy pillow


What I'm leaving behind:

  • A job in an after school program at a private school with wonderful children (1st-5th grade)
  • A comfortable home.
  • A fuzzy guinea pig named Caboose
  • Good friends and family
  • My favorite sandwich shop
  • A boyfriend

2 comments:

  1. This is from (I think) the left behind boy friend's mother. Interesting comments Carlin. I wish I were there with you. I have always wanted to join the Peace Corps. The photos are wonderful.
    CJCB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!!! Thanks so much for commenting! Yes, Ethiopia is a beautiful country, but there are days when I miss Seattle, which is also beautiful. :o)

      Delete